Sunday, August 3, 2014

Java was started but returned exit code=13

I was getting this error when i was trying to run my eclipse

Here is the solution

  • Open your eclipse.ini file and see which javaw.exe file you are trying to use
    • in my case it was C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_55\bin\javaw.exe
  • I am using windows64bit platform.
  • Open cmd and run java -version
    • This will tell you which java version you are currently using (like below)
java version "1.7.0_55"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_55-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.55-b03, mixed mode)
  • Notice the 3rd line which is telling my I am currently using the 64bit java , but that is not what I see in my eclipse.ini file (There it's 32 bit java)
  • So I changed it like below
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_55\bin/javaw.exe
And now I can run my eclipse without any error , hoope this helps somebody out there.

Summary

This problem happens when your java version and OS java version is different , for example if you are using 32 bit java version and the OS has 64 bit java version you will see this error. the easy solution is to have same version of java for both your OS and your eclipse.

No comments:

Post a Comment